Saturday, February 7, 2015

Topo Trail series #5 Caesar Creek....A taste of spring with winter left over

The week has been busy, messy, and I just had few hours for training and a short friday night....buttoday was the Race#5 of the winter trail series at Caesar Creek Park. 
I already ran this 12 miles course (6 miles back and fork) last year, in a fresh snow and it had been the toughest run of 2014. As last year, we got some snow during the week and the trails were still covered by a thin layer of white powder but nothing compare to the previous year. 
Bunch of runners were here, probably because of the warmer temperature!! It was really great to not freeze waiting the start. The temperature has something of spring today and it’s really nice to be outside with sunshine.After a short warm-up, we all align for the start and begin the race at 10pm... Runners are up for 6 miles or 12 miles course. 

Due to the last year experience, the strategy was to get a decent 1st km to escape and not be stuck once on the trail and then going for a comfortable pace checking the damage of the crappy week. A quick look in front of me, a group of 10 runners are taking the lead, with 6 and 12 milers and a quick look over my shoulder confirmed that we already made a gap we the main group and I then got into my pace focusing on not twisting my ankle. 
After the first mile, the leader of the long distance series was walking back and told me that he twisted his ankle...end of the race for him. 
Approaching Miles 3, I met the leaders of the 6 miles on the way back to the finish line, 4 guys, meaning that I should be behind 4 or 5 guys still racing for the 12 miles.
After Miles 5, I keep on looking in front of me as the leaders should now shortly cross my way after turning back on miles 6 and I will soon know my position. The leader appears, looking easy and confident. A good 30 seconds after him, a group of 3 runners cross also my way shortly followed by another guy....well I'm 6th , not too bad with the too short sleep from last night. 
Miles 6, time to turn back and run to the finish line. I check the time to know the gap between me and the 7th runner...40 seconds and as expected it's the guy who passed me in the last km in the previous race and with whom we are fighting since the beginning of the series...but today he looks  tired and my strategy is working pretty well as my legs are still fine!! Let's try to speed up a bit the pace to increase the gap as I know this guy is a good finisher. I'm crossing now lot of 12 milers, some jump aside the trails with a "good job man", others look pretty tired and I am running most of the time off the trail to not make their run more difficult.
Miles 10, here I have a great view of what's going on behind as the trail is running on the lower part of a hill from where I can see the trail on the top. No sign of other 12 milers , which gives me a good 2 minutes gap. After 2 last miles, trying to keep a decent pace, the finish line is there with Brian from Topo Trail recording the time of finisher

18.3km on the Garmin - 1h36min - 6th, 23min less than the crazy snowy run last year!!! Finally better than anticipated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment