Thursday, July 14, 2016

Yellowstone Half Marathon

Yellowstone half-marathon, a challenging trail run!
On June 11th 2016, Grace, my brother and I were at the West Yellowstone, for the half marathon, organized by Vacation Races. We felt so excited and nervous at the same time. Our first trail run for Grace and myself and for my brother, his first half-marathon (hope not the last one :p).
We discovered what a trail run was! ...and we were certainly not prepared for that! Running in sand, dirt road, grass and rocks not so easy when you add to this, a couple of big hills to climb at an altitude of 2000 meter. Difficult to move, breathe, you can feel your heart beating fast and your lungs try to catch some oxygen!
My parents and my brother's girlfriend also came and cheered us up. My dad was really excited about our race. He was a great coach! He took pictures, checked our pace/time and ran with us during the last kilometer, encouraging us: "almost there! you're doing good!".
It was quite an adventure for us! We glad we did it but not sure if we will do another trail run.
Thanks to Marc for giving the bib to my brother and giving him the chance to run is first half marathon with his sister! :-)


Carine

  

Running changed my life! I try not to sound too dramatic or corny but it’s the most significant thing happened to me for the passing year. A weekend doesn’t really start before a morning run followed by a nice cup of coffee. Every time I travel, I want to explore the new place with my running shoes. Rainy days become unbearable and active wear starts to take over my wardrobe. I can go on and on but none of these would happen without joining the team Jovent79 US.  The awesomeness of being part of team would require another big chapter so let’s focus on Yellowstone half marathon for now.

Yellowstone half marathon sounded like a fantastic idea-doing a race while visiting the most iconic national park. We planned a trip of visiting both Grand Teton and Yellowstone and ending up with surreal Las Vegas. The dreamy views we had during the whole trip were beyond description. I wish the team could have come with us. However, the anxiety haunted us in the first few days of the journey because of the upcoming race. Carine, Pascal and I went to the expo a day before the race thinking “We are so NOT ready for a trail run! The shoes are wrong. We’re going to fall on those rocks!” And having a bear spray vendor at the expo certainly didn’t help! The force of stabilization and encouragement is Bouffi papa Jean-Claude, a former elite runner who had been qualified for New York Marathon years ago. He helped us to get ready physically and mentally by checking the course and temperature, providing tips and running with us side by side for the final mile. Bouffi mama Sylvi acted as a perfect backing by making us carbo-loading meals and cheering us up with her loving nature. Pascal’s girlfriend Virginie is such a sweetheart who successfully took the crossing line pictures with our ferocious faces.
My 3 month-training plan for this race included 1 spinning class, 1 circuit training and 2-3 long or short distance runs per week. I was aiming to break my personal record which shouldn’t really be hard to achieve. I thought the trail was the biggest challenge and I was so wrong; it turned out the high altitude was the real killer! I couldn’t even maintain a relatively slow pace for 200 meters and right after the gun shot I knew no record was going to be made that day.  The idea of compromising the original goal frustrated me but on the other hand, the slow pace did spare me extra energy to deal with the rocky trail. Over 2500 anticipants on a dusty trail made breathing even more challenging but I tried to keep a stable pace and focused on every step I took. I witnessed 4 people fell during the race and I tried to help one girl to her feet. You could tell she was too upset to express her pain or even say a word. At that moment I realized everyone was struggling just like myself.  It wasn’t an easy race but we don’t run a half marathon because it’s easy. I do this because I love challenges, inspirations, self-searching moments and most important-a sense of achievement at finishing lines. I encountered Pascal around mile 7 and he was doing really well considering it was his very first race. Running gene does run in Bouffi family for sure! Then I saw Jean-Claude, it was so heartwarming to have this kind of parental supports in foreign land; plus it was such a relief to know there was only one mile left to go. Crossing finish line is still one of the best things in life even though I was quite disappointed by my time. Later chip time showed 2:23:42, which barely beat my first race Flying Pig a year ago. However, the warm greetings from my French family dispelled all negative thoughts and I felt simply happy that I made it.

You probably don’t know how much I like to make a thank list just like receiving an Oscar on stage so please indulge me. First of all, thank Jeff for all his insightful information of the national parks and being so attentive. Thank Matt, Vivian and my friends for picking us up at airport. Thank Max for coming up with this brilliant idea and then abandoned us ;)! Thank David for enduring my whining. A big thank to Marc for training and encouraging me. Last but not the least, the magnificent and “sensational” Bouffi family!! I enjoyed every moment with them and truly appreciated their supports and love. So, what’s next? I am ready for another “breathtaking” race and a new journey.

Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment