Thursday, June 18, 2015

Jeff Wallance at 2015 Grand Teton Half Marathon

After a week in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, viewing the mountains, wildlife and geothermal features, I ran in the Inaugural Grand Teton Half Marathon on June 6th, which was organized by Vacation Races, the same group that put on the Smoky Mountain Half Marathon that some of us ran in last year. 
I couldn't have asked for better conditions at start time, as the skies were nice and clear and the temperature was 50 degrees. I lined up with the 1:50 pacer, hoping to improve on my 1:58 time from the Smokies Half. 
The organizers had planned a very flat course, with the only substantial hill being between miles 4 and 5. The first half on the race went very smoothly. However, at mile 8, the 1 mile altitude difference between Cincinnati and Wyoming started to kick in and my pace slowed quite a bit. 
Despite that, I still finished in 2:04, coming in 9th out of 53 in the 45-49 age group. 


It was a beautiful run, with the Teton range in constant view to the west, and another great races organized by Vacation Races.

No comments:

Post a Comment